Home Grown Champions
During the holiday break there were a number of St John’s athletes achieving success across a number of high level activities. A summary of their success includes:
- Jack and Laura Odorici who won gold and bronze medals at the shooting state titles;
- Matthew Kemp was selected into the U/17 QLD State Volleyball Team;
- Jireh Fuamoli played with the TAS Rugby Representative Team;
- Lachlan Cooper’s Capitals Basketball Team won bronze at the State Titles in Townsville;
- Declan Grunsell won gold at the Interschool Ski Tournament;
- Mitchell Lohmann gold in 20km Team Time Trial, gold in 4000m Team pursuit;
Interhouse Athletics Carnival
The annual Interhouse Athletics carnival was held on the Secondary Campus yesterday. There was an increase in participation this year which has resulted in close scores between the houses. Full results will be released in the next edition of ripples.
Term Three Sport
Last weekend marked the beginning of term three sport. It was pleasing to see the number of close games on display resulting in each sport experiencing success. The next three rounds will be Home Games as we take on Ormiston, Canterbury and St Paul’s. Stay a little longer or arrive a little earlier to cheer on other year levels. Saturday 18th August will be a bye.
Metropolitan West Trials
Metropolitan West trials have now commenced for the year and all are being advertised in the Daily Notices. Students wishing to trial must have previous experience in their chosen sport and on most occasions, be required to trial at the Southern Scorpions District Trials. Please ensure you see Miss Birch before the nominated date.
For all the latest sporting news, photos and updated don’t forget to ‘like’ the St John’s Anglican College Sport Facebook page.
If you are attending sports and take some great photos, please supply them to the sports office by Facebook message or USB. These may be used for Facebook, Ripples, Yearbook or the Sports Dinner. We love to brag about our sporting achievements so please supply as many images as you can.
Head of Sport
I hope you all add a wonderful break and we now have the second half of the year in front of us.
During the holidays, three of our athletes, Andrew Byrne, Eamon Byrne and Tamika Gee, participated at the Little Athletics Winter Championships in Townsville with outstanding results. Andrew won Gold and ran PBs in 11 Year Boys 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m and 1500m. He also set new winter best performance times in 800m and 1500m. Eamon won Bronze in 9 Year Boys 100m, and Gold and ran PBs in 200, 400 and 800. Tamika won Gold in 11 Year Girls Discus and 1500m, and Silver in Shot Put. WELL DONE!!!!
Congratulations to Ryan Waalder on being selected to once again represent Queensland at Futsal, and to Deeptangsu and Sarbani Maitra for their good results at their recent State level squash competition.
Primary Sport in Term Three
– Year’s Five and Six – Thursday afternoons, 3.15pm to 4.30pm Coach – Mr Murray, Mrs E Wilson, (+ 2 other teachers), Qld Lions coaches
– Year Four – Wednesday afternoons, 3.15pm to 4.30pm Coaches – Mr Murray, Mrs Abeyewardene, Mrs McConaghy, Qld Lions coaches
– Years’ Two and Three – Tuesday afternoons, 3.15pm to 4.30pm Coach – Mr Murray, Qld Lions coaches)
– Year Six – Wednesday afternoons,3.30pm to 4.30pm at CAC Senior campus courts Coaches – Senior School coaches, Mrs Corry and Mrs Kime
– Tuesday afternoons (starts on Tuesday 14 August) 3.15pm to 4.30pm Coaches – Senior School coaches
– Prep to Year Two – Wednesday mornings Oval 7.40am to 8.15am, Mr Murray, Mrs Huffels, Mrs Hall
– Years Three to Six – Thursday mornings Oval 7.40am to 815am, Mr Murray, Mrs E Wilson, Mrs Abeyewardene, Mrs Hurley and Mrs Boudjema)
– Year Five and Six – Tuesday mornings 7.15am to 8.15am, Coaches – Miss Ruiz, Mr Murray and coach Bryan Hoang
Lions Football Program
– Friday 3.15 to 4.15pm
– Year Four, Five and Six (voluntary) 7.00am – 8.00am – Mr Murray
– 100m, 200, and 800m – Monday afternoons Oval 3.15pm to 4.30pm, Coaches – Mr Murray, Mr Allen, Mrs Wright and Mrs Shaw
– Invited athletes only, Coaches – Mr Murray and Mr Allen
Monday – High Jump (U8, U9 Boys and Girls and U10 Girls), Tuesday – High Jump (U10 Boys and U11, U12 Boys and Girls), Wednesday – Girls and Boys Discus all ages, Thursday – Boys and Girls Shot Put all ages, Friday – Long Jump (all ages Boys and Girls)
Primary Sports Coordinator